The recruitment, harboring, transportation, provision, obtaining, patronizing, or soliciting of a person for the purpose of a commercial sex act, in which the commercial sex act is induced by force, fraud, or coercion, or in which the person induced to perform such act has not attained 18 years of age.
The recruitment, harboring, transportation, provision, or obtaining of a person for labor or services, through the use of force, fraud, or coercion for the purpose of subjection to involuntary servitude, peonage, debt bondage, or slavery.
What are the signs?
Look, Listen, Call
It may not be what you think. Know what to look for, and what you can do to help.
- Changes in school attendance, habits, virtual behavior, friend groups, vocabulary, demeanor, and attitude
- Sudden appearance of luxury items s/he cannot afford — e.g., manicures, designer clothes, purses, refillable gift cards
- Multiple phones or social media accounts and/or lying about the existence of social media accounts
- Inappropriate, sexually suggestive pictures posted online or stored on the phone
- Social interaction and schedule seem to be controlled by someone else; Isolation from family, friends, and community
- Age-inappropriate friends, boyfriends/girlfriends
- References traveling to other cities or states or lacks knowledge of travel plans, destinations, or current location
- Seems unsure, hesitant to answer, or lies when asked about age and identity
- Looks to others before answering questions or avoids answering questions and lets others speak for him or her
- Seems unsure about where s/he lives; has a history of running away
- References traveling job opportunities, including modeling, singing and/or dancing in a music group, or magazine sales crew
- If you or someone you know is in immediate danger, call 911.
- If you or someone you know is being exploited, call local law enforcement. In Deschutes County, call (541) 693-6911
- If you have questions or concerns and want to talk to an advocate, call J Bar J’s at: project (anti-trafficking project) at (541) 647-0658
- If you want to report a tip, ask a question, or text from anywhere in the U.S., contact the National Human Trafficking Hotline: 1-888-373-7888. Text: 233733 (BeFree)